Tips for Safely Installing Home InsulationJanuary 20, 2016
Understanding the importance of home insulation is one thing. Understanding the importance of safely installing home insulation is quite another.
Well-insulated homes keep people warm in the winter, cool in the summer and utility bills low. That’s a fact. But for the home-insulation installer, keeping safe while on the job is another matter entirely.
We at Capitol Machine specialize in providing our customers with powerful insulation installation machines and urge contractors to take a few simple steps in ensuring job sites are safe and secure.
Here are six safety tips from DoItYourself.com:
- The Skin: Prolonged contact with the tiny fibers of fiberglass insulation can inflame the skin. Installers should wear loose fitting clothes with long-sleeved shirts and long pants. Do not scratch or rub skin that has come into contact with fiberglass particles.
- The Head and The Eyes: Workers should make sure they wear a hat or heading covering and safety glasses when installing insulation overhead. Wear gloves with side shields for added protection. Wash work clothes separately when doing laundry.
- Breathing: Inhaling insulation fibers can cause respiratory problems, such as coughing, bronchitis and throat and lung irritation. Prolonged breathing of insulation particles can lead to serious lung disease. So, wear a breathing mask.
- Wait To Unpack Material: Once opened and removed from packaging, insulation can expand 1,000 percent, which can circulate fiberglass dust in the air. Don’t use compressed air during insulation jobs. High efficiency particulate air vacuums or water filtration vacuums help reduce particle circulation.
- Ventilate: Proper ventilation helps reduce potential inhalation of fiberglass. Air filtration systems also make job sites safer and healthier.
- Don’t Eat or Drink: Fiberglass particles can easily get on food or in drinks (or on cigarettes). Eating or drinking before or after a job is best.
What did you think of these tips? Do you have information you’d like to share? We at Capitol Machine offer a wide variety of insulation machines, insulation blowers and insulation removal vacuums that will ensure your jobs are successful and safe. Contact us with questions or for more information. Our number is 800-421-6473.